All about Inverness
Inverness is located north of Tampa along Highway 41 near the Withlacoochee River and Tsala Apopka Lake. With all the charm of the “old south,” Inverness celebrates a relaxed and nature-loving lifestyle. For those looking for an alternative to the crowds and noise of other Florida cities, the moss-covered oak trees, southern hospitality, relaxed pace and small town atmosphere all hold a distinctive allure.
This area of springs, rivers, lakes, scenic reserves and ancient natural sites has been referred to as “Mother Nature’s theme park.” Around Inverness you’ll find all you need in the ways of shopping and amenities, but take time to explore into the country and you’ll be enriched by the rolling green hills, lakes and natural wonders. With Henderson Lake encapsulating much of the town, it is no surprise that Inverness is well-known for its boating and fishing. Prefer the terra firma; the nearby Withlacoochee State Trail offers over 40 miles of maintained trails for hiking, biking or inline skating.
In addition, being in the heart of Florida Inverness is close to everything including the theme parks of Orlando which are approximately an hour away.
Low Crime Rate:
City-data.com crime index for Inverness = 205.2
(higher means more crime, US average = 321.8)
Inverness is in Citrus county which has a population of 140,000
Population (year 2000): 6,789. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,295 (+7.5% change)
Males: 2,941 (43.3%), Females: 3,848 (56.7%)
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 7.3 square miles
Golf Courses (less than 20 miles away)
- Lakeside Golf Course Inverness FL
- Point OWoods Golf Club Inverness FL
- Citrus Hills Golf & Country Club Hernando FL 4.5 mi.
- El Diablo Golf & Country Club Citrus Springs FL 13.6 mi.
- Citrus Springs Golf & Country Club Dunnellon FL 16.2 mi.
- Rainbow Springs Golf & Country Club Dunnellon FL 16.2 mi.
- Rainbows End Golf & Country Club Dunnellon FL 16.2 mi.
- Continental Country Club Wildwood FL 18.3 mi.
- Miona Lake Golf Club Wildwood FL 18.3 mi.
College/University in Inverness:
- WITHLACOOCHEE TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (Full-time enrollment: 294; Location: 1201 W MAIN ST; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Inverness:
- CENTRAL FLORIDA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; OCALA, FL; Full-time enrollment: 3,101)
- SAINT LEO UNIVERSITY (about 35 miles; ST LEO, FL; FT enrollment: 6,597)
- PASCO-HERNANDO COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; NEW PORT RICHEY, FL; FT enrollment: 2,868)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA (about 54 miles; TAMPA, FL; FT enrollment: 26,221)
- UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA (about 58 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; FT enrollment: 41,543)
- SANTA FE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 59 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; FT enrollment: 7,942)
- HILLSBOROUGH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 63 miles; TAMPA, FL; FT enrollment: 9,630)
Public high schools in Inverness:
- CITRUS HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,572; Location: 600 W HIGHLAND BOULEVARD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WITHLACHOOCHEE TECHNICAL INSTI (Students: 50; Location: 1201 W MAIN STREET; Grades: 09 - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Inverness:
- INVERNESS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 1,216; Location: 1950 HIGHWAY 41 N; Grades: 06 - 08)
- PLEASANT GROVE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 744; Location: 630 PLEASANT GROVE ROAD; Grades: PK - 05)
- INVERNESS PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 724; Location: 206 S LINE AVENUE; Grades: PK - 05)
- CITRUS COUNTY RENAISSANCE CENTER (Students: 108; Location: 221 S MONTGOMERY STREET; Grades: 06 - 12)
- COUNTY SUPERINTENDENT'S OFFICE (Location: 1007 W MAIN STREET; Grades: N - N )
Hospital/medical center in Inverness:
- CITRUS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (502 HIGHLAND BLVD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Inverness:
- OCALA INTL-JIM TAYLOR FIELD (about 25 miles; OCALA, FL; ID: OCF)
- GAINESVILLE RGNL (about 59 miles; GAINESVILLE, FL; ID: GNV)
- TAMPA INTL (about 62 miles; TAMPA, FL; ID: TPA)
Amusement and Theme Parks
- Silver Springs, Silver Springs FL 31.1 mi.
- Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Walt Disney World - Disney-MGM Studios Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Walt Disney World - Epcot Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Walt Disney World - Magic Kingdom Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- SeaWorld Orlando Orlando FL 61.3 mi.
- Universal Studios Florida Orlando FL 61.3 mi.
- Universal Studios Islands of Adventure Orlando FL 61.3 mi.
- Busch Gardens Tampa Tampa FL 61.9 mi.
- Celebration Station Clearwater FL 66.6 mi.
- Old Town Kissimmee FL 67.5 mi.
- Cypress Gardens Adventure Park Winter Haven FL 70.5 mi.
- Main Street Pier Amusements Daytona Beach FL 83.2 mi.
- Buccaneer Bay, Spring Hill FL 28.0 mi.
- Wild Waters, Silver Springs FL 31.1 mi.
- Walt Disney World Blizzard Beach Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Walt Disney World Typhoon Lagoon Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Walt Disney World Water Country Lake Buena Vista FL 57.0 mi.
- Wet N' Wild, Orlando FL 61.3 mi.
- Adventure Island, Tampa FL 61.9 mi.
- Water Mania, Kissimmee FL 67.5 mi.
- Adventure Landing, Jacksonville FL 111.2 mi.
- Withlacoochee State Trail and Withlacoochee State Forest
- Fort Cooper State Park FL 3.1 mi.
- Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park FL 15.3 mi.
- Yulee Sugar Mill Ruins Historic State Park FL 16.8 mi.
- Dade Battlefield Historic State Park FL 18.1 mi.
- Rainbow Springs State Park FL 19.3 mi.
- Withlacoochee Trail State Park FL 23.0 mi.
- Lake Griffin State Park FL 26.7 mi.
- Waccasassa Bay Preserve State Park FL 28.7 mi.
- Silver River State Park FL 31.8 mi.
- General James A. Van Fleet Trail State Park FL 34.6 mi.
10 Best Things To Do In Citrus County, Florida
- Swim with the Manatees
- Salt or fresh water fishing
- Visit the Ted Williams Baseball Museum
- Explore Homosassa Springs State Wildlife Park
- Paddle a River Kayak
- Enjoy Great Golfing
- Go Biking
- Scuba Dive or Snorkel
- Shop for Antiques and Collectibles
- Discover History from 500 B.C. to the Present
Get your piece of Florida today!
Direct To You Pricing means savings of $1,000's of dollars.